Pages

Monday 16 May 2011

Just Believe - You can do it!


I titled my post today "Just Believe - You can do it!" for a reason.  I started out yesterday and today with some ideas for my entry into this weeks less is more challenge.  This week we are to use embossing on a one layer card. 

Well I'm not too proud to admit my first several attempts failed.  However I didn't want to give up and knew I could achieve what I wanted if I just kept trying.  

The above card was my second idea.  I used the large stamp in Just Believe and stamped it with versamark ink onto whisper white card stock.  I then heat embossed it using black embossing powder.  I had rubbed down the front of my card blank with my embossing buddy  first.  I then used my versamark pen to colour in the flowers and this time used gold embossing powder and again heated it.  The sentiment is from the same set and I positioned it with my stamp-a-ma-jig after stamping it in versamark.  Then heat embossed it using black embossing powder. 

I like the effect of using two colours of embossing powder.  The ladies, Chrissie and Mandi, did ask us to experiment after all.

Onto my rescue attempt.  Not one to just throw away any failed attempts, I cut them up to make another card which I'm very pleased with.  It also shows the effect that I was trying to achieve.  Obviously it can't be entered into this weeks challenge as it's now not one layer. 



So let me explain what went on here.  I used So Swirly jumbo wheel on whisper white inking it  with versamark.  I then scattered some black embossing powder over parts of the image then tapped off the extra.  I used gold embossing powder to cover the rest of the image and again tapped off the extra.  Then heat set it.  The effect is super and you can see the back and gold merging together.  However I wasn't happy with the quality of my one layer cards.  Something went wrong each time.  So instead I created the card above with the parts that I did like.

Once I'd decided which bits I wanted to keep I mounted them onto basic black card and in turn  arranged them on a whisper white panel.  This has been mounted onto a basic black card blank.  The "Just for you" is from Afterthoughts, a Hostess Level 1 set, and has been heat embossed with gold.

I like this more than my original idea which just goes to show that it's worth keeping your mistakes because you may be able to turn them into something else!

Have a look at all the wonderful entries that have already been posted.  I'm sure you'll be inspired.

Thanks for looking and remember you can order any of the above supplies from me, just drop me an e mail, I would be delighted to help you with your crafting. x

32 comments:

Zoechaos said...

Fabulous cards XOXO Zoe

Kathyk said...

Fab LIM card and I really (REALLY) like your card rescuing the good bits of the "alleged" failure card

Kathyk

Jacki Daniels said...

Aileen these are gorjuss I love them both but must admit I think the bottom one is my fav now that is what you call a happy accident lolso glad you kept at it and didn't give in I need to get back over there but I do struggle with this type of card can I ask you a question you said you had gone over your card with an embossing buddy well what is one of those I have never heard of them lol
Jacki xx

Rita said...

Both cards are beautiful. Hugs Rita xxx

Chrissie said...

I never cease to be amazed by the tenacity of LIMettes... great to see your experiments working out so well in the end!
Thanks so much Aileen.
Chrissie
Lady LIM
"Less is More"

Jen said...

Both beautiful cards, well rescued.
jenjoy x

Lynn said...

Two fabulous cards. Sometimes our mistakes turn out to be layouts or designs we would never have thought of, and really work. Well done. Lynn x

Beryl K said...

Two fabulous cards, the first one is my fave
Beryl x

Margaret said...

Love both of them Aileen, they're gorgeous!!
Margaret x

Suze Bain said...

Ooh, well done! The mix of black & gold is fab. First one's very elegant but I do like the swirls! xx

lin_ka1 said...

I'm very impressed. Beautiful cards

Dolly Daydreams said...

Perfect cards both of them are lovely well done for sticking with it.

Marie

Jenny said...

So clever to use two colours of embossing powder...one gave me enough trouble. Love the recycled card too :)
Jenny x

Rosemary said...

lovely card... the double embossing you did is so cool! that large image from "just believe" is perfect for embossing!

Doris said...

WOW! Your second card is a knockout!!

Margaret said...

Embossing with 2 colours you are so brave.
I must say your second card is fab to.

Hugs
Margaret

Mandi said...

Thanks for your perseverance Aileen
Love your just Believe card! Hard to make out the two colours on my screen, sure its even more delightful IRL
Thank you very much
Diva LIM mandi
Less is More

Valerie-Jael said...

Great cards! Valerie

Dolly Daydreams said...

Glad you stuck with it, both are marvelous such expert stamping , embossing, both are very elegant.

Marie

Seafield Jo said...

Wow Aileen, these are stunning cards. Jo

Cali said...

those cards are simple gorgeous Aileen, as usual! Using two embossing powders is really... daring! ;) I'll try that some time, the result is stunning!
http://thecraftycat.over-blog.com

Crealin said...

Hi Aileen,

this is so beautiful and stylish!

Lins :-)

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful Aileen! So glad you rescued the first one! xx

Sarah's Little Snippets said...

Gorgeous cards! I love the black and gold together. Sarah x

Carol Wilde said...

Fab cards and really CAS - well done !

CArol

Viv said...

Two great cards, well done :O) Viv xx

Anonymous said...

Fab cards but especially love the first one!
Helen x

G Peplow said...

Love your title Aileen, Your cards are great, the first is clever, your embossing works really well and in the second you've recycled and ended up with another brilliant card, double whammy:0) xxx

Susan said...

WOW! I love what you did with your "mistakes", Aileen! The first card is lovely...and it fits the challenge...but I LOVE the second card!

StampingStace said...

Glad you stuck with it, gorgeous cards!
Stacex

Vicky Hayes said...

I like these ideas of using two embossing powders and also of using mistakes for another card. You are very resourceful Aileen! Vx

Sarn said...

Both excellent cards and a great "save".

Hugs, Sandra Take a peek at MY CARD here

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...